Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Places I've Been

Just the other night after coming home in a fuzzy general anaesthetic frame of mind I was thinking of all the different places I have been in the hospital since becoming pregnant. I was a hospital novice prior to my pregnancy and had only been to the hospital a handful of times to visit. Since becoming pregnant I have ventured to the following
  • Antenatal clinic- I spent a bit of time here- nearing the end of my pregnancy I paid them a visit once a week
  • Imaging- This is where my ultrasounds all went down
  • Monitoring - Birth Suite- I think I had devices strapped to my belly on several occasions late in my pregnancy, the room had pretty birdcage decals on the windows, the inside was ugly
  • Pathology- shit loads of blood tests all the time- the most memorable being when they lost my blood taking it from me to the lab
  • Birthing Room- Birth Suite- this is where all the fun happens- well not for me, I spent a few hours in here before my c section- my opinion- SCABBY- I would not have liked to push out a baby here
  • Emergency Operating Theatre- this is where the action happened and my bubbas came into the world. The theatre was very small, I had a picture in my head of operating rooms being massive chambers
  • Special Care Nursery- my babies spent 10 days here- I will write about this in another post
  • Maternity Ward- shared room 4 beds with babies- the horror of all horrors
  • Maternity Ward- shared room 4 beds- no babies- much better
  • Rooming In Room- Very basic, no food, no heat but a step closer to bringing our babies home
  • Emergency Room- I spent a full day here, the strangest thing is that no curtains are drawn so you can see all the other patients, I was very concerned about watching someone have a heart attack and die in front of me
  • Imaging- CT scan- like a big donut
  • Maternity Ward- single room- this is the shit
  • Day Surgery Waiting Room- Everyone is dressed in gowns and robes waiting to be walked into surgery- very odd
  • Day Surgery Anaesthetic Room- I don't think this is the official name but it is a little room where the anaesthetists ask you the same questions over and over ( I think to try and catch you out in your own lies) and stick a cannula in your hand
  • Day Surgery Operating Theatre- Again small and freezing cold. I asked the nurse why and she said so the surgeons don't sweat!
  • Day Surgery Recovery Room- Two parts, the beds where they yell at people to try and wake them up and the lounges where the monitor to you before you go home
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment